Sustainability presents an opportunity for businesses to gain value and critical competitive advantage as they face resource scarcity, population growth, and increased environmental concerns among other heightened and varied consumer expectations, according to the new 2022 Achieving Packaging Sustainability white paper, produced by PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies.
Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) companies must work closely with packaging technology suppliers to find solutions that both address the varying regional, national, and international climate policies and work for the industry. A central challenge is adapting packaging machines to run sustainable materials, which requires CPG and OEM collaboration at the very early stages of R&D as well as ongoing partnership to achieve sustainability goals and accommodate the next generation of packaging solutions.
With sustainability, a priority issue for all manufacturers, PACK EXPO International (Oct. 23-26; McCormick Place, Chicago) offers the PACK EXPO Green Program: the commitment of PACK EXPO and all its partners, vendors, and exhibitors working together to be more sustainable. This program ensures attendees can find information and resources to advance their specific sustainability goals.
PACK EXPO International producer, PMMI, has partnered with AMERIPEN, the American Institute for Packaging and the Environment, to create the 10-Year Packaging Materials and Sustainability Compass, a collaboration report on the future of materials usage and replacement for CPGs, OEMs, Materials Suppliers and Recovery. Findings will be presented on Monday, October 24 on the PACK to the Future Stage.
Additional sustainability resources at PACK EXPO International include:
- PACK EXPO International Green Exhibitors - Exhibiting companies who provide sustainable solutions either via new materials or technology such as biodegradable packaging, new packaging reduction processes, recyclable and biodegradable materials, and technology to reduce carbon footprint, will be highlighted by the PACK EXPO Green icon in the Exhibitor Directory. See the growing list of sustainable solution suppliers.
- Sustainability Education Track - Over 30 sessions focused on sustainability will be presented on all stages at PACK EXPO International and will be highlighted by the PACK EXPO Green Icon. These sessions are free to all registered attendees, and you can see them right on the show floor. See sustainability track.
- Reusable Packaging Pavilion and Learning Center - This pavilion, sponsored by the Reusable Packaging Association, showcases sustainable packaging solutions to help reduce waste, cut costs, and gain supply chain efficiency. Explore reusable transport packaging products and services and see innovative reuse solutions from over 30 exhibitors and stop by the Reusable Packaging Learning Center for presentations and panel discussions on a variety of topics related to sustainability and reuse in the packaging supply chain.
- Sustainability Solutions Finder Tool - This interactive tool, compiled by the PMMI Media Group, helps attendees zero in on specific exhibitors at PACK EXPO International who can advance their company’s sustainability goals. Interactive filters enable attendees to mix and match sustainability tactics (such as recyclable, post-consumer recycled content), package types (e.g., rigid vs. flexible), and even food contact.
- PACK to the Future - In addition to 30 pieces of historical equipment, materials, and photographs spanning 250 years, PACK to the Future will take a closer look at the evolution of sustainability, its definition, and how the products and processes have evolved over time. The exhibit will feature interactive exhibits on sustainability from Clemson University and Virginia Tech, as well as a Corrugated Car of the Future VR Experience produced by Paper + Packaging Board.
PACK EXPO International is the best place to experience innovations, connect with colleagues, hear from experts, see machinery in action, and find the right solutions to the biggest packaging and processing challenges. Attendees will experience 2,000+ exhibitors displaying solutions for over 40 vertical industry markets, over 1.2 million net square feet of exhibit space, and 100+ free educational sessions, on topics like sustainability, automation, AI, and so much more.
Visit packexpointernational.com to learn more about the exciting show features, search for exhibitors, and register. Registration for PACK EXPO International is $30 until Sept. 30, after which it increases to $130. For more information and to register, visit packexpointernational.com.