Carlo Gavazzi—a designer, manufacturer, and marketer of electronic equipment—has launched its HDMS Series, a single-phase motor soft-starter, made for systems used in areas with weak power grids. Its design and control algorithm are meant to lessen the need for a traditional start capacitor and increase reliability. This control strategy should allow the HDMS to easily start Capacitor Start / Capacitor Run (CSCR) motors, and in the case of Permanent Split Capacitor (PSC) motors, virtually get rid of the starting current, says the company.
This product is designed to offer as much as 70% current reduction when compared to Direct On-Line (DOL) starters, which makes the HDMS preferable for applications with heat pumps, submersible pumps, or other scroll compressor loads connected to generators or electrical inverters. Features include Near Field Communication (NFC), Modbus communication, and easier use as the HDMS should not require any user settings or adjustments.
Features of the HDMS include:
· Single-phase 110 to 230 VAC, 50/60 Hz operating voltage range
· Self-learning algorithm continuously adapting to load conditions for motor start optimization
· Broad operational current range: 12, 25, 32, 37 Arms @ 60°C (140°F)
· No start capacitor required
· Tool-free design for quick, error-free installation
· Data downloads via NFC communication with 143 alarm event storage capacity for troubleshooting
· Real-time data analysis through Modbus communication
· Specialized algorithm for scroll compressors and submersible pumps
· SCR protected relays for increased lifetime
· 2 relay outputs (configurable logic) for Alarm, Top of Ramp
· Integrated Class 10 motor overload protection
· Conformal coated PCBs for additional protection against humidity
· Agency approvals: cULus Listing, CE certification
The HDMS Series Motor Starters are made to increase reliability, reduce costs on utility contracts, and improve motor operation.